Will of Lucy J. Elmore Gunn Will Book 23, Page 189 Brunswick County, Virginia
I, Lucy J. Gunn of the County of Brunswick, State of Virginia , being of sound mind and memory do make this my last will and testament.
It is my desire, that my entire estate shall be equally divided between Mary Virginia Laffoon, Lucy Victoria Waller, Susan Roberta Elmore, Willie T. Gunn, Herbert L. Gunn, and Algie S. Gunn.
I five to Algie S. Gunn, an equal share because my son Jno. E. Gunn is in the asylum, and I do not think it necessary to give it to him.
Therefore, I give it to his son Algie, in lieu therof.
I appoint my son, Herbert L. Gunn as executor of this, my last will. In witness whereof, I have signed and sealed and published and declared this instrument, as my will, in the City of Brunswick, this the 17th day of March 1897
Lucy J. Gunn [seal]
Lucy Jane Elmore Gunn was born in 1830 in Brunswick County, Virginia. She was the daughter of James W. Elmore and Mary Elizabeth "Polly" Pritchett. Lucy was the youngest of seven children. In Lunenburg County, Virginia on January 12, 1853, Lucy J. Elmore married her third cousin, John B. Gunn. The ceremony was performed by Willis H. Peace, minister. The couple had the following ten children, six who survived infancy
1. John E. Gunn b. March 1854 married married his first cousin Sarah W. Gunn, daughter of Richard J. and Mary Augusta Elmore. John E. Gunn resided in an asylum for the insane, and one of their children, Algernon "Algie" Sidney Gunn inherited his father's share of his grandmother's estate.
2. Sarah Gunn b. 1855 died in infancy
3. William Thomas Gunn b. 1856 married Mary Elizabeth Ferris
4. George G. Gunn b. 1858 died young
5. Rosa A. Gunn b. 1859 died young
6. Mary Virginia Gunn, b. 1860 married Madison L. Laffoon
7. Herbert Lee Gunn b. 1862 married Marietta (Mary Etta) Daniels
8. James Gunn b. 1863 died young
9. Lucy Victoria Gunn b. 1867 married Curtis Cornelius Benjamin Waller
10. Susan Roberta Gunn b. 1868 married Emmett Edward Elmore her mother's first cousin.